BOISE — It is possible to get a refund of grocery tax credits for 2017, even if you don’t normally make enough money to file an Idaho income tax return

The tax credit offsets the sales tax on groceries. It’s $100 for most Idaho residents, plus $100 for each of their dependents, according to a press release from Idaho State Tax Commission. Residents age 65 and older get $20 more.

To qualify for the refund, you must have lived in Idaho during all of 2017. The full credit applies to dependents born or adopted in 2017, as well as residents and dependents who died in 2017. If you’re age 65 or older, claim the refund by filing a Form 24, Idaho Grocery Credit Refund. If you’re under the age of 65, file your claim on Form 40, Idaho Individual Income Tax Return.

Last year more than 64,000 residents who weren’t required to file a tax return filed for a grocery credit refund.

More information can be found on Tax Commission’s website at Click on “Get a grocery credit refund” in the “Quick Picks” section, or by calling the Tax Commission at (208) 334-7660 in the Boise area or toll-free at (800) 972-7660.


Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.